What is an Authority to Fundraise and do I need one? 

add remove

An Authority to Fundraise is a signed letter from Garvan Research Foundation, giving you approval to raise funds for Garvan. You’ll need to get approval from Garvan in order to go ahead with your fundraising event or initiative.

How do I get an Authority to Fundraise?

add remove

Before you begin planning your fundraising event you’ll need approval from Garvan Research Foundation. To do this, please fill in and submit a Proposal to raise funds for the Garvan Institute of Medical Research form.

Are there any rules about fundraising I should know about?

add remove

Fundraising guidelines state that a fundraising event or initiative cannot spend more than the equivalent of 50% of the amount raised. For example, if you raised $20,000 at your event then you would need to ensure that expenses did not exceed $10,000.

There are different rules based on the state you are fundraising in, and type of fundraising event, if you have any questions contact us on foundation@Garvan.org.au.

What support and assistance can Garvan provide for my fundraising activity?

add remove

We are very grateful for your interest in fundraising to support our work. We can provide:

  • Fact sheets about Garvan and its work 
  • Proudly supporting Garvan artwork
  • Fundraising posters to display at your special event
  • Promotion through our community fundraising newsletters
  • Tips for effective and successful fundraising initiatives.

If you have any questions, we are here to help, please call our Community Fundraising team on 1300 73 66 77.

What support and assistance is Garvan unable to provide?

add remove

We are unable to provide the following:

  • Prizes for your fundraising activities 
  • Applying for relevant permits, licences or insurance covers related to third party activities 
  • Garvan staff to coordinate or assist at your event 
  • Sale of tickets, products or services as part of your initiative 
  • Reimbursement of event-related activities 
  • Financial contributions to any event related promotional material or equipment.

How do I pay in the funds I've raised?

add remove

You can pay in the funds you’ve raised through fundraising in the following ways:

1) By credit card over the telephone – please ring 1300 73 66 77, and quote your supporter ID number (which is marked at the top of your authorisation letter) and let us know that this is for your community event.

2) By credit card securely online at any time.

3) By cheque or money order made payable to Garvan Research Foundation.

Please mail your cheque or donation coupon to: 

Garvan Research Foundation
Reply Paid 68593
Darlinghurst NSW 2010

No stamp is required when sending via mail.

4) Electronic Funds Transfer

When making an electronic funds transfer, please put your supporter id in the description (for example, 123545 Slipper event) and email foundation@garvan.org.au with your name and address for receipting purposes.

Our transfer details are:

Account name: Garvan Research Foundation Gift Account
BSB: 082-057
Account: 567562610

When must I send fundraised money to Garvan?

add remove

Funds raised must be provided to Garvan within 14 days of the conclusion of your event or activity.

Subscribe to our mailing list for updates